Experts agree that this summer will be one of the hottest of all time, not only in our country, but in the entire world. The main culprit, as we know, is global warming, although there are others that also have some weight. Be that as it may, these temperatures bring with them some problems, such as the heat stroke , which we must prevent before regretting its consequences. In this article we will explain what this consists of, when it occurs, what symptoms you may have when one shows up and, of course, what you can do to avoid it. Can you come with us?
What is heat stroke
We talk about this injury when the body temperature exceeds the 40 degrees for a long time. It is more frequent in summer, when temperatures are higher, and more common in children and older adults, as well as people with certain chronic pathologies or overweight.
This problem arises when we carry out prolonged physical exertion at high temperatures and when we are exposed to heat for a long time. Under regular conditions, the body is able to control the temperature to certain degrees. When heat strokes occur, the thermoregulatory mechanisms of the body stop working properly and the body, accustomed to always recovering normal temperature, cannot do so.
Sometimes this term is mentioned in a cursory way, but it can be dangerous and life-threatening, especially when the measures to alleviate its effects are not applied optimally. To improve health before one of them, it is important recover the temperature normal body. How? Gradually, never abruptly. Some of the recommendations are:
- Find a shady spot, preferably where the breeze blows a little and the environment is somewhat cooler.
- Take off our clothes and refresh the skin with wet wipes or cloths, gradually. Do it first in forehead, nape and neck , and later, in the rest of the body.
- To drink fresh water (not cold) for the body to rehydrate. Do not do it all at once, but in small sips.
- These first steps are relevant to recover a little. However, the ideal is to go to an emergency medical service to perform an deep check . It is better not to do it alone. Afterwards, we will have to do revisions for a few days until our temperature is better regulated.
- In case we don't recover, we can lie down and put your legs bent while medical services help us.
Symptoms of heat stroke
There are some key symptoms to know that we are suffering from one. All of them are easy to see, although in some cases, these can be confused with other pathologies . We always recommend seeing a doctor:
- Increase in temperature up to 40 degrees and that this is not the result of a viral process.
- Excessive sweating .
- Dry, red and very hot skin.
- Accelerated pulse.
- prolonged dizziness or beginning of some mental confusion.
- Dry mouth and great thirst.
- Sensation of suffocating heat.
- Muscle cramps.
- Agitation of the body.
- Stomach pain or even lack of appetite.
- feeling of oppression or throbbing in the head , accompanied by general pain.
- In babies who are suffering from heat stroke, the symptoms may also be irritated skin, especially on the chest, elbow, diaper area or armpits , as well as inconsolable crying and a lot of irritability.
How to avoid heat stroke?
Many people ask if they can be prevented and the answer is yes. How? Next, we leave you a series of effective measures to avoid them:
- General measures: you can consider as essential drink a lot of water , to always be hydrated, and fruit juices , that provide you with vitamins and other basic substances for the optimal functioning of the body. Also, avoid drinking alcohol or drinks that have caffeine, especially if you are going to be exposed to the sun for a long time, and high-calorie, high-fat, and very hot foods. Do not forget to continually refresh yourself with wet towels and take regular showers.
- Measures at home or in closed places : use the cool rooms from the house to sleep, use fans during the night and the time you are in the rooms and try to close the blinds or curtains during the day. On the other hand, remember to open the windows so that the house cools down and be inclined to do activities in places with strong air conditioning , such as shopping centers or cinemas, for example.
- Outdoor prevention : avoid direct sunlight, that is, you should try to pass the maximum time in the shade or in places where the air flows. Also try to wear light, wide clothing, with neutral colors and cotton, if possible, and put on a cap whenever you can. Get under an umbrella, if you are on the beach, do not do sports or outdoor activities, between 12 noon and 4 in the afternoon, hydrate constantly and wet your face a little from time to time.
- Measures for the most vulnerable : take medication regularly and have continuous contact with the doctor.
Advantages of using a Mellerware fan
the use of a fan It is recommended indoors during the hot season, as it will help to have a ventilated and fresh house. With the latest technology, energy efficiency and the best manufacturing materials, the Mellerware range of fans is perfect for any room in the house, including bathrooms.
If you want to know more about this brand, the designs we have and the colors, do not hesitate to visit our website or contact us. Our team of specialized advisors will help you with the models that best suit your spaces.
You already know, a heatstroke It is not just anything and should not be taken lightly. Follow the advice that we bring you in this article and do not forget to consult a doctor if you are not sure of the symptoms or want more information about them.